Sunday 7 September 2008

Start of the New Academic Year

It's a new academic year, and to me this means starting new Tai Chi classes at Congleton, Macclesfield and Sandbach.

At this time, I often wonder what kind of students will arrive. Following the Beijing olympics, I expect there to be quite high numbers this year. But you never know. 

So here's some FAQ's that I often get from new students.

That looks difficult. Is Tai Chi hard work?
Tai Chi is as easy or as hard as you want it to be. Simply by adjusting the depth of posture. you can have a gentle relaxing session, or a really tough workout. It's up to you.

I'll never remember all those moves.
Yes you will. Some people take more time than others. I don't expect you to be perfect. Classes are where you make your mistakes, so I can correct them. 

Tai Chi is Buddhist, isn't it? Do I have to give up alcohol or meat?
Tai Chi is not Buddhist. It takes it's influences from the Yijing, traditional chinese medicine and other martial arts. No buddhism was used or required. Also, you do not have to give up anything.

Where do the meditation and health aspects come into it?
It's true that Tai Chi was developed for self-defence purposes. Meditational state is achieved by the concentration on the movements to the exclusion of everything else. Health is gained by pressing the tongue against the roof of the mouth, bending the knees, correcting the posture and turning at the waist.

See you at the class!!!

No comments: